Date of construction: 1901 - 1904 (architect Lunsky)
Date of consecration: 13 June 1904 by Metropolitan Agafangel (Preobrazhensky) of Riga and Mitava
Construction of an Orthodox church in Tapa was started in 1901. The solemn ceremony of laying the foundation stone of the church was served on September 2, 1901 with the blessing of Bishop Agafangel (Preobrazhensky) of Riga and Mitav by priests Michail Smirnov, Karp Tiisik and Cyril Janson. The church was built to the design of diocesan architect V. Lunski in the Byzantium style. The church was consecrated on June 13, 1904 in the name of the Nativity of John the Forerunner by Archbishop Agafangel (Preobrazhensky) of Riga and Mitav.
It is interesting that during bombardments in the World War II the city was practically destroyed and only two churches, Orthodox and Lutheran, were not damaged!
In 1997 Moscow artist Gennady Chumykin painted the ceiling of the church.
Address: Pikk 1, 45106 Tapa